Classification of Microorganisms
Review on your own Chapter 1, pp. 1-25, "Microbes in Our Lives"
- Define taxonomy, taxon, and phylogeny.
- Discuss the limitations of a two-kingdom classification system.
- Identify the contributions of Linnaeus, Hooke, van Leeuwenhoek, Pasteur, Koch, Whittaker, and Woese.
- Discuss the advantages of the three-domain system.
- List the characteristics of the Bacteria, Archaea, and Eukarya domains.
- Differentiate among eukaryotic, prokaryotic, and viral species.
- Explain why scientific names are used.
- List the major taxa.
- Differentiate between culture, clone, and strain.
- List the major characteristics used to differentiate the three kingdoms of multicellular Eukarya.
- Define protist.
- Explain the purpose of Bergey's Manual.